Counseling for ADD & ADHD
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are often characterized by developmentally inappropriate degrees of inattention, over-activity, and impulsivity. Symptoms of attention deficit disorders such as ADD and ADHD often arise in early childhood and some symptoms last well into adulthood.
Characteristics of ADD and ADHD:
- Poorly sustained attention or vigilance
- Impulsivity or difficulty delaying gratification
- Hyperactivity or poorly regulated activity
Some warning signs for ADD/ADHD include:
- Difficulties following instructions
- Being unable to get organized, either at home or at school
- Fidgeting, especially with the hands and feet
- Talking too much
- Failing to finish projects, including chores and homework
- Not paying attention to or responding to details
- Getting poor grades in school
- Being isolated from peers due to poor grades and secondary depression
Therapy for ADD and ADHD
Counseling for children, teens or adults who are struggling with ADD/ADHD can help both the client and his/her family learn the skills necessary to overcome the disorder's negative aspects. While many children and adults do take medications to help regulate their ADD and ADHD symptoms, we believe that medication is not the only answer and must be combined with talk therapy to be truly effective.
Getting Counseling for ADD and ADHD
If you are interested in learning more about counseling for ADD and ADHD, contact us online or by phone at (847) 220-7402 to learn more about how our therapists can help at our convenient Schaumburg office.