Self-Care Tips and Tricks
Sometimes we need a quick and simple list of things we can do to self-soothe. The following suggestions work best when used proactively. However, if you're feeling stressed, anxious, or down, us this as a reference guide to improve coping during these times.
- Stream of consciousness writing
- Healthy diet – track food and mood
- Meditation and mindfulness practice
- Build your support system
- Ask for help
- Limit social media time
- Keep a consistent schedule
- Spend time in nature
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Locus of control – recognize that you can only control you, not others
- Radical acceptance – accept what you cannot change
- Grounding – ground yourself to your physical and present environment
- Get creative –draw, paint, color
- Take a walk
- Listen to or play music
- Develop and venture into your spirituality
- Take a drive
- Medication – consult your primary care physician and/or psychiatrist
- Alternative therapies – massage, hypnosis, acupuncture, chiropractic, yoga, essential oils/aromatherapy
Investigate your options. More info on these ideas can be found via Google or speaking to your therapist. Keep in mind that if one thing doesn't work, try another. Don't give up. Sometimes we must simply weather the storm so we can appreciate the sunshine and peace on the other side.
Meghan Reitz, LCPC, NCC, has worked within the counseling profession for over 17 years. Her therapist experience includes providing individual, couples, family, group, and crisis counseling. She also speaks with companies and groups on mental health and wellness topics. Learn more about Meghan here.